Full Professor of International Studies with a specialization in Global History (1.0 fte)Publicado: 15.11.2014
Full Professor of International Studies with a
specialization in Global History (1.0 fte)
The successful applicant will especially contribute to the BA / MA programmes in International Studies, and other programs and courses as required. (S)he will hold an appointment at the Leiden University Institute for History and will be based in The Hague and Leiden.
- Original research involving primary sources within the broad framework of ‘Global History’;
- Teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, in lecture and seminar formats; primarily in International Studies BA and MA programs;
- Initiation and supervision of postgraduate research;
- Acquisition of project funding at the national, European and international level;
- Contribution to administration on various levels of academic leadership;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media.
We seek a scholar of wide intellectual scope. Specialization in terms of region and themes is open, but we are particularly interested in candidates with a demonstrable transnational perspective in research and teaching, who focuses on contemporary, i.e. post-1945, global history.
We expect the successful candidate to have:
- Excellent research qualities, visible in a PhD degree (preferably in History) and a high-quality, internationally accessible research and publication record;
- Demonstrable commitment to high-quality teaching practice, and broad teaching scope and thesis supervision;
- Disciplinary expertise in History, openness to interdisciplinary cooperation; and the ability to integrate his/her disciplinary knowledge with regional-historical perspectives;
- Ability to acquire funding for and manage international research projects;
- Demonstrated administrative, management and leadership abilities;
- An excellent command of English. If the successful candidate is not Dutch-speaking, s/he is expected to have acquired a good command of Dutch within two years from taking up duty. The Faculty will make resources available to this end.
About our faculty and institute
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields as philosophy, history, art history, arts, literature, linguistics, religion studies and regional studies covering nearly every region of the world. Located in the historical centre of Leiden, our faculty is home to more than 6.000 students and 1.100 staff members. It offers an inspiring and international work environment. For more information, seewww.hum.leidenuniv.nl
Institute for History
The Leiden Institute for History is one of the seven research institutes of the Faculty of Humanities. The Institute was ranked 28th among history departments in the 2014 QS World University Ranking. The Institute’s strong international orientation and focus on the study of European, American, Asian and African societies in a global context gives the Institute its unique character. For more information seewww.hum.leiden.edu/history
‘International Studies’ is a new programme which studies the political, cultural, historical and economic developments in various regions of the world, in their mutual dependence. International Studies started in September 2012, and it attracts a wide, international student body. The programme consists of a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree and is taught in English. The BA programme is housed in The Hague; the MA programme is based in Leiden. For more information see www.bachelors.leiden.edu/studies/info/international-studies andhttp://en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/international-studies/en/programme
Terms and conditions
The successful candidate is eligible for a permanent, fulltime appointment (38 hrs per week), provided his or her suitability is determined on the basis of previous experience as a full professor, and provided s/he has successfully completed a tenure track. In other cases an appointment is initially for a period of five years, convertible into a permanent position pending satisfactory performance. The preferred appointment date is August 1, 2015.
The gross monthly salary is set on €5.003,- to 7.285 per month, commensurate with qualifications and based upon a full-time employment and in conformity with current salary scales under the collective employment agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Queries to Prof. Wim van den Doel, Dean of the Faculty of Humanities ( (firstname.lastname@example.org), with cc. to Prof. André Gerrits (email@example.com), chair of the International Studies degree.
Applications should be in English, and electronically be submitted in a PDF-document, named ‘Family name – given name – vacancy number’. This document should include, in this order:
- CV including education and employment history, publications, courses devised / taught (including assessments), grant and awards, and linguistic capabilities;
- A letter of motivation including a personal vision of International Studies with a specialization in Global History within the context of International Studies (2 pages max.);
- Names, positions and email addresses of three referees (no reference letters);
- A research agenda including titles and outlines of (potential) individual or team projects (2 pages max.)
- A teaching statement relevant to International Studies at BA and MA level (2 pages max.).
The candidate will be asked to give a lecture as part of the application procedure, and may be required to participate in a management assessment.
Please submit your application (with the vacancy number mentioned in the letter of motivation and in the subject line of the e-mail) before December 15, 2014, to Leerstoelen@hum.leidenuniv.nl